For those dive professionals out there seeking diving jobs, Ocean Tribe in Diani Beach, Kenya are seeking a scuba and freediving instructor to join our team in East Africa.
Ocean Tribe is a growing PADI 5 Star IDC Center based in Diani Beach, 30km to the south of Mombasa in Kenya. We are looking to grow our business in the time following the lockdowns caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
A majority of our diving is done on the local dive sites in Diani Beach and Kisite Marine Park off Shimoni.
The successful PADI Instructor is responsible for teaching to agency and Ocean Tribe standards, dive guiding daily dives and deck handing for a great underwater experience, safety, and customer service.
Dive Instructor Job Applicant Requirements
- Be certified and renewed as a PADI OWSI or higher and willing to teach more specialties.
- Be certified as a PADI Freediver Instructor
- Currently certified in First Aid & CPR, AED and Oxygen provider.
- Certified as an EFR Instructor
- Be fluent in English and ideally one or more other languages
- Must be in good standing (no recorded ethics violations or quality assurance issues) with any certifying dive agency
- Hold current professional liability insurance
- Own their own equipment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Must be willing and able to work in a collaborative setting with a diverse group of coworkers and guests.
- Be able to provide references from previous diving jobs and PADI Course Directors
- Underwater Photography
- Equipment servicing and maintenance
- Freediving or Sidemount Instructor
- Basic Salary
- Self-catering accommodation
- Commissions on sales.
- Trade rate on diving equipment purchases
- Instructor continuing education
- Ocean Tribe uniform
Diving Instructor Job Position Duties
- Daily Client Greeting
- Client Equipment Preparation
- Dive Boat Management
- Checking Dive Roster
- Boat Loading / Unloading
- Equipment Cleaning/ Disinfecting
- Equipment Inventory
- PADI Courses & Instruction
- DSD Try Dives
- Dive Tours
- Snorkel Tours
- Tank Filling
- Daily Boat Logistics
- Safety Monitor
Instructors are Expected to Work 5 ½ Days a Week based on a rolling roster.
The diving season in Kenya normally lasts between October and April and we are looking to make this a long-term position, although we have no objections for instructors who would like to work in seasonal positions during our low season between May and July
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the start date of the position is not yet confirmed but we are hoping for October/November. Only shortlisted applications will receive a reply.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by email to arrange initial interviews, which will be held over Zoom. Other communication methods will include WhatsApp.
Ocean Tribe is a fun company to work for and a family-like atmosphere. Unfortunately the pandemic has stretched us financially so at first a basic living salary and accommodation is the package for instructors. Commissions are also offered on every sale made for the company.
- Disclaimer: This job description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described, and may be amended at anytime at the sole discretion of the Employer.